View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 07:54 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
It has been talked about but there is too much modification involved, hardware and software. Not all factory trans are crap, the GM 480le I believe it is, is capable of handeling loads of power, and so does the Ram Diesel trans. The 545 has a major flaw in the design by using weak clutches in the 2P and 4th gear clutching. This combined with rediculous coding is a recipie for disaster.
I'm not sure what the 480le is but the 460le is in LS1 camaro's I believe. It is an ok transmission but it too fails with additional power. My buddy has a camaro with an ls1 and with just some bolt ons and a tune the trans started slipping.

Like I said, the transmissions are good for power levels they are designed for. If you add 100lb ft to the input shaft of most factory transmission it will likely have issues. I believe you'll see the same thing with the new 8 speed.

And comparing diesel to gas is not a fair comparison. Diesel's have to be able to withstand significantly higher torque levels than gassers.

It's pretty rare you hear of a failure of a 45rfe/545rfe/65rfe unless it's supercharged, turbocharged, or running nitrous.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.

Last edited by snrusnak; 02-20-2013 at 07:57 AM.