View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 08:10 PM
Ram Ham

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1475
KA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud of

I went in to town today armed with a notepad and pen with the intention of getting quotes for two things: paint match job on my new AVS visors and window tint job to the max Utah law will allow on my front driver and passenger windows (I am fine with the rear factory tint).

The results?

I can have my windows tinted cheaper at the GM/Chevy dealer than at my own Chrysler dealer, lol. I found that rather interesting. Best quote for tint was $107 ($50 per window plus tax) out the door at the GM/Chevy dealer. Not too shabby, but I have never quoted tint before, so please tell me if this is not within the realm of normality.

As for having my visors painted... Holy Mula, Batman!
There are two shops in town that have this capability (I told you I lived in a rural area!)

First is a body and fender, ma and pa type place. I am familiar with their work as they did the insurance repair work on my '99 Tahoe a few years back after I was run off the road by some jerk in a blizzard. They had to replace the driver side front quarter panel and then paint match/blend the rest of the driver side to match with the replacement part. They did a superb job and I have since sent numerous friends to them.

They quoted me $100, plus or minus, for the paint job on all four visors. But he said that he doesn't understand why I would want to do this as the paint would chip off the plastic surface too easily. He also said I would have to get clear visors as he doesn't think the smoke colored ones I do have would work well or show the paint as well or whatever. Do these visors even come in clear?? That whole conversation threw me for a loop. If I didn't already have a relationship with this guy, and this was my first encounter.. I wouldn't return as he oozed incompetence. Sad. He was my preferred choice for this.

The second option for paint is the auto body and paint shop affiliated with/owned and operated by my dealership. Hmm. Drove over to them next and their guy gave my truck a once over and asked if I would be wanting to have both sides of the visors painted. Uhm, what? No one has ever mentioned if they had both sides painted on here, so I didn't have an answer for him. He said it would take about 30min per visor and the lady printed me out an estimate...

wait for it...

$161.65 out the door! Holy mother of Rams!

For those of you interested, this is the breakdown of their estimate/invoice:
Paint Labor -- 2 hours @ $46/hour -- $92
Paint Supplies -- 2 hours @ $30/hour -- $60
Subtotal -- $152
Sales Tax (6.35%) -- $9.65
Grand Total -- $161.65

And that is only for the outside of the visors. If I want both sides done, I would have to multiple that estimate by two!! Good grief! We're not talking about painting one whole side of the truck! What the hell is with these prices?? Needless to say I will not be having the dealership's shop painting my visors.

There are no other options within a 50 mile radius. I will try expanding my search for paint shops up north in the SLC valley, although I would prefer to just have it done local, but it's not looking that way right now.

Any thoughts, opinions, sympathy, etc.. are welcome as always.