View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 12:31 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:1266
Stump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud of

Sounds like the system needs to be burped. The thermostat will open regardless of what condition or load the engine is under. For sake of an example if you have a 180 degree thermostat the second that the engine coolant reaches 180 degrees the thermostat will open and allow coolant to circulate within the block. This will happen if you are sitting at an idle or cruising down the highway, granted it happens quicker under load.
With an overheating problem as the video and above posts have detailed it can be multiple little things or one big one. A new thermostat doesn't guarantee that it works, back in my mechanic days I've installed new thermostats that did not open. After changing out a rad, thermostat, or water pump I always recommend doing a complete coolant flush. Ensure you've flushed the entire coolant system including the block as you don't want any remaining scale to find it's way back into the rad and plug it up. Once you've flushed the system and have filled the coolant back up, leave the rad cap off and start the engine. Allow the engine to come to temp watching the coolant level in the rad. Once your thermostat opens the coolant level in the rad will drop....often dramatically. Top off the coolant until it literally starts to flow out of the top of the rad. Tighten on the rad cap and you are good to go.

Big Red my old 2011 Sport

Enjoy big benefits with a subscription to RamforumZ, become a site supporter today!

Don't forget to upload pics of your Ram in the Gallery!

Great how to's and lets not forget the Rulez.