Old 02-24-2013, 09:33 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn Edition
Color: Black & Chrome
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:50
namccanna will become famous soon enough

One way to test the thermostat is to remove it completely. It will take forever and 3 days for the engine to get up to temp...but once it does, you can see if it overheats. If it does, then it's not the thermostat. Is it possible that the thermostat is installed backwards? I had a buddy that did that once.....cussed and swore the engine for days....we took the thermostat out (along with other things) and it was in backwards!

A couple quick questions tho.....you said that the engine overheats within minutes of driving under load, won't overheat at idle in the driveway, but cools to normal temps within 2 minutes...... What are you using to determine you are overheating? The gauge? Or are you actually getting steam and fluid boiling under the hood?

The reason I ask is because the engine being back to normal temp after only 2 minutes does not sound right! It typically, even in below zero weather, takes more than 2 minutes for the engine temp to return to normal. Considerably more than 2 minutes....at least 15-20 minutes, often longer in my experiences. If you are going by the gauges and warning lights then I would do some tests under the hood to make sure that you are in fact overheating. Check the coolant temp. If it isn't hot, then you have a sensor out somewhere....couldn't tell which one tho. I'm guessing that there is a engine temp sensor, or maybe even a coolant temp sensor.

Just my thoughts on things and what I would be looking for. Good luck!