Old 02-27-2013, 05:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram 8 Speed 3.92
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Peral
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:95
Jayincali will become famous soon enough

You don't get that awesome shine by just washing and slapping a coat of wax or sealant on your finish. The car in the link you posted is kind of false advertising as they just didn't wash that car and then slap some 845 on it. They probably spent 4-5 hours on that finish and went thru 5 machine pads and 4 different types of product. In a nut shell without getting in to crazy detail, here are a few steps to achieve the shine you are after. Just because you use wax doesn't mean you are going to have a Barrett Jackson shine, those types of finishes you see have had 10 hour’s worth of work to get there, not a 10 minute wash and 20 minute wax job. Primary job of wax is to protect, period. Wax and sealant will enhance the gloss/shine and depth but will protect first and foremost. When you see a finish that has depth that you could fall into with the shine/gloss to back it up, is mostly achieved through polishing. Most people totally skip right over this step as you did. Anyway here is a real quick rundown.

--Wash (use dawn if you have some, it makes it easier)
--Clay bar
--Wash again
--You should use a 2 bucket method, one with plain water to rise your dirty mitt, the other with car wash soap.
--Now you have a clean slate to start working with and will start with one of the most important steps you missed as most people do. Polishing. Most people think you only need to polish to remove heavy swirls or oxidation. Wrong. If you have very very minor swirling I wouldn't use a cutting polish or pad as the finish on these trucks are super thin and wouldn't warrant cutting a layer down just to remove such minor marring. I would use a finessing pad and a non-cutting polish to bring the depth and shine out of the finish.
--if you used a non-cutting polish then you can move on, if you used a medium cut/heavy cut depending on your finish, you may need to knock it down one more step with a fine cut polish and polish pad, or non-cut polish with polish pad, depending on the marring left behind from the previous step. Again just a quick run down here.
--Next you can pick the sealant of your choice, I do love my #845 and I will pick that bottle up.
--Then throw a wax topper on to add extra protection for your sealant as well as kicks it up a notch in the gloss/shine dept as well.

Again I could write a 5000 word essay on the subject, but this was a quick run-down. Obviously there would be more polishing/finessing steps depending on finish, pads, and product used.

Couple examples
Before

After

Before

After

Last edited by Jayincali; 02-27-2013 at 05:22 PM.