View Single Post
Old 03-01-2013, 10:44 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3225
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Actually Grant, after talking with Matt about all this and my build, he agrees that his 87mm wouldn't be a good thing on my truck and the 90mm that I have is the best option. With the volume demands my new engine has, the constriction of the 80mm butterfly would not be a good choice as it would choke out the motor starting in the mid-range.

Here's some of the PMs he sent me on another forum:

Quote:
For the wild build you are planning, there is no doubt that a 90mm TB is in order. 95% of guys on the forums stick to the basic boltons and a mild cam, and that is exactly the build that we designed these TB's for. I would like to get another truck on the dyno to try both the 85mm and 87mm compared to stock, but the seat of the pants gains from the guys running these has been great. I appreciate yo utaking the time to hear me out on this. Good luck with your build. I'm excited to see how it goes.

BTW...we just came out with our 2013 TB's now as well. We tested these in both the 85mm and 87mm design, and the 87mm actually performed better, even on a bone stock truck. We just finished our first production run of them, so I will be posting pics of these later. I have a few on the way to customers now, so we should see some feedback from them sometime next week. None of the 2013's are modded yet, so this should be a true test as to whether they work or not. Our test truck dropped .15 at the track with the TB alone, so I'm expecting good things once the guys start running them.

Take care.

Matt
Quote:
Thanks. The info was good in the original, but I think the way it was worded was just over most peoples head, so it was taken in a different way than you intended. In all honesty, aside from the guys with boost, a ported stock TB like the 87 is more than enough for most guys. The straight bore TB's from BBK and Arrington are nice because they flow more air, but with less airspeed. Better to pend power, loss of tq. Having said that, boosted guys arent too worried about losing a few tq down low, so it is a good compromise. On a bolt-on, or even mild heads/cam truck, the 87 has proven to be the way to go.
So, you can see that Matt and I agree on the need for intake velocity to increase/maintain torque. He even states that there are limitations to his TBs on bigger builds, which you will see I talk about in the end of the original post. Matt and I are on the same page and I still recommend his and fastman's ported TBs if they suit a person's build.

Though, if you are serious about the offer, I would love to prove the point when I get it all put together and onto the dyno at Davenport. I could honestly show the difference between a bone stock, ported 87mm, true 85mm, and a true 90mm on an engine that's built to flow volume. We've already seen the benefits of flowing a higher velocity on a stock and mildly modded engine, and I am genuinely interested to see how it would affect the torque and hp curves, just making the change to the volumetric flow rate.