Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Grey
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:32
Maddevill is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Need advice on 4.7 head job

Well, it's happened. I have a 2003 4.7 QC. My wife told me that on a couple of occasions the truck would "pause" while she tried to start it. I tried it and it cranked fine. We drove it yesterday and it ran good although the idle was a littler rougher than it was. After about 15 minutes of driving it still was sending steam out the tailpipe so i got out and smelled it. It doesn't smell like coolant but when I checked the recovery tank it was almost empty. I suspect that I have a blown head gasket. I think the pause on starting is probably a case of almost being hydraulically locked. Hopefully we didn't damage a rod. but like I said, it still runs smooth. Anyway I want to know what brands of parts to avoid or what ones to use. I assume I would want to change the timing chains and tensioners as well? It has 85k on it. What about the water pump? I am thinking I should probably have the heads checked for cracks and re-surfaced as well? I have a mechanic who usually works on it but if he hasn't done a 4.7 before I guess I'll have to sell a kid and take it to Dodge. I have no place to work on it here. So, please give me advice. It' s hitting me at a bad time but I need this thing fixed and reliable.
Thanks
Mad
Sponsored links