View Single Post
Old 03-06-2013, 01:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Quad Cab diesel
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2005-20?? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
Rep:217
dodge man has a spectacular aura aboutdodge man has a spectacular aura aboutdodge man has a spectacular aura about

First question, have you weighed your trailer? Trailer makers and boat makers often show the weight lighter than everyday towing. They often show a dry weight, by the time you get some water and other stuff on board, that weight can climb. I'd say weigh it if you haven't. Maybe its more like 9000 lbs?

It sounds like you have a good hitch setup, but maybe not adjusted correctly. I'm never had one, so I'm not a lot of help. I know, from seeing pictures, you can try and jack up the rear of your truck to much. In other words, your WD hitch is trying to lift up the rear of your truck to much. Maybe you can find some photos on line to help set it up correctly. I also know you can adjust the sway control.

Another question is what is the frontal area of your trailer? It may not be to heavy for your truck, but it may catch to much wind. Once you are moving at highway speeds, the trailer catching wind puts more of a load on your truck than the weight of the trailer.

If you truly have a 6000 lb trailer, you really should be able to tow it with your current rig.