Old 03-12-2013, 05:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2008 Ram 1500 5.7L Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
lamarsh is on a distinguished road

Gonefishin, thanks for the note. What inclined you to run that 91 tune with the 92 octane gas, as opposed to running the 87 tune with the regular 87 octane gas? If you were to look at it in $/mile, do you think I'd be better off programing with the 91 tune and running 91+ octane gas, or keep the 87 tune running 87 octane gas? Clearly, 91 octane costs more/gal, but I'm wondering whether the overall economy is better in terms of $/mile. I still have yet to run it with that economy tune to see whether that gets better fuel economy than the 87 tune I'm running right now.

Definitely true about our mud tires--unless we drop thousands things like headers and superchargers, we'll never see that 18mpg highway / 14 mpg city that our trucks used to get before we started putting big boy parts on. Dead weight on axles just destroys fuel economy. I calculated that my mud tires cost me somewhere around $250 more in increased gas costs per year. Kind of stings, but doesn't sting as bad as seeing my jacked up truck on some tiny 29" OEM Goodyear Wranglers, hooah?