View Single Post
Old 03-19-2013, 09:39 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 4WD Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2538
Hermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asur View Post
Found another Amsoil dealer posting this information about 5w-20 oil.

http://www.ultimatesyntheticoil.com/...s/ford5w20.htm

And another

http://www.enhancedsyntheticoil.com/5w20_Issue.htm
The problem with these articles as I see it, and I am an Amsoil user, is a couple things. They indicate it is safe to use 5w-30, that the only reason 5w-20 oil is indicated, is to meet govt fuel economy. But if it were really safe to use, why then are people who use 5w-30, reporting error codes and adverse functioning of the MDS? I get the meeting govt. mpg standards and it makes sense, but I am not convinced it is as ok to use 5w-30 as some of these articles indicate. Another issue I have is these articles repeatedly say "don't let the dealers scare you". it is not the dealers who mandate the viscosity rating, rather the manufacturer. My final issue is the creative referencing to Magnuson-Moss act where they will have the reader believe, the act prohibits manufacturers from specifying viscosity, not true. The act prohibits specifying a certain brand, not specific grade or viscosity and the manufacturer would be well within their rights to deny a warranty claim if their requirements are not met. A final observation, Chrysler offers a pretty generous warranty on the motors, so I find it hard to believe they would warrant the engines as they do, then specify an oil viscosity that would impact meeting at least the warranty.