Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2001 Ram 1500 4x4, 5.2L
Color: Flat Black
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
nicraage is on a distinguished road
Default So frustrated 5.2 -5.9 swap possiblility

I'm so aggrevated, so I appologize if any of this comes off as a rant

I'm in Honduras. I had my 5.2 completely rebuilt less than a year ago. Recently, I had water leak into a cylinder, which caused overheating, and I damaged the heads and a couple of cylinders, which I was going to sleeve.

1st machine shop told me they would only "warranty" the work if I sleeved all cylinders, even though I only needed 2. Took motor to a different machine shop (better reputation and bigger). They said, no problem, they could make the sleeves and only needed to do two.

I ordered some new aftermarket Odessa heads (great outfit, and fantastic customer service), and had them freighted to Honduras. After shipping here, it set me back about $700.

I decided to buy a performance cam with springs (cost $500).

Now, machine shop told me they discovered the block is cracked.
I had a mechanic locate a place that can sell me a used block. These insane #$%^&$ want $500 for just the block. This set me over the edge.

I would rather have a rebuilt engine sent over here than give these guys $500 for a freaking block out of a junk yard.

***Question: Can the odessa heads for the 5.2 be used on a 5.9 (and is it a good idea?) i will try to find an engine without heads if that is the case. I should be able to return the cam, since I bought it through Summit racing, but I don't want to eat $700 for heads if i don't have to.

Did I mention how angry I am?...lol

Last edited by nicraage; 03-21-2013 at 12:26 PM.
Sponsored links