Old 03-23-2013, 01:11 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 95 & 98 1500 Ram 4x4s
Trim Level: SLT & Sport
Color: 1 Blk,1 Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:36
Screamintrashcan is on a distinguished road

Buy a new half shaft, or get one from a recycler. The stock axle assy's are fine, strength wise, but if your axle joints are worn out, one good torque up while the wheels are turned, and off come the yokes when the slopped out, needle bearing-less u-joint needs to go into maximum work hard mode. The drivers is relatively simple, however time consuming to replace, the passenger side needs to have the round thing on the inboard end to center up properly to the inner shaft. You won't need to remove the differential or anything crazy like that, just the wheel, rotor, dust shield, and bearing, if my memory serves me properly. use a six point socket (non impact, they fit sloppier, and you want a snug fit) on those three hexes holding the wheel bearing. Your axle nut is a 1 &11/16. A standard deep socket will get the job done for a lot less money than the fancy special socket, just grind your wall thickness down a little.I do not recommend an impact socket, the wall thickness is too great, you'll be grinding all day.