Old 03-24-2013, 11:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 95 & 98 1500 Ram 4x4s
Trim Level: SLT & Sport
Color: 1 Blk,1 Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:36
Screamintrashcan is on a distinguished road

I simply cannot remember if the balljoints need to be separated or not, seems to me, not. The nicest thing to have is heat, but not totally necessary. The most difficult thing I remember was separating the bearing from the dust shield, and not destroying the dust shield. I was patient, and kept working a large screwdriver as a wedge around the edge of the bearing mount boss. once you get a little gap, it becomes much easier to spread the gap. Consider the 'wedge' a sacrifice to the cause, a 3 Lb hammer helps! I heated my bearing bolts, they came off easily that way. I bought the zerk-less ujoints, and drilled and threaded my own zerks into a cap, # 7 drill, and 1/4 x28 tap, easy to grease, now. I don't know anything about a wheelbearing puller, But it may be a good idea to buy new wheel bearing hub assys, once you have it opened up. Buy some anti seize, and use it, in case you ever have to go there, again! It would've been nice if there had been some around the centering pilot for the bearing assy! Remember to buy a new cotter pin for the axle nut, and a cheater bar for the axle nut, or a good impact gun, sometimes they're TOO tight, which is also a bad thing.

Last edited by Screamintrashcan; 03-24-2013 at 11:35 PM.