View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013, 08:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1999 Ram 1500 Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
CBW1999 is on a distinguished road
Default My "Project" Truck......

I bought my “project” at auction about a month ago. I knew it was going to need quite a bit of work but, nothing I wouldn't be able to deal with (for the most part). Bear with me, I have some physical limitations so this project may take some time.

As I crawled in, over, under and through- finding all the problems I made quite a list of things to do. It is obvious that not much attention was ever given to maintenance. It is a 1999 with only 72,000 miles, second owner had it about a year before trading it. Not sure if they beat it or it just was from a lifetime of neglect. As I searched the internet I found this forum as an excellent resource to help identify some of the oddities I was finding.

The weather hasn't been the greatest so I have spent my time sourcing parts and ordering them to be ready for the attack. Finally this week I had the chance to start.

Top of the list is the ever so popular intake plenum repair. About 4 hours over 2 days and I was able to get everything unbolted, out of the way and removed. I didn't bother to take before pictures- I'm sure most members have seen it before. I will however post the “after” pics.

It would appear that someone tried to repair it previously and did a horrendous job. Best I can guess, they reused all the bolts and didn't use a torque wrench. None of the manifold bolts took much to break loose. Although I soaked them for days previously with PB Blaster, I would still expect them to need more than a casual turn of the ratchet to loosen. Thankfully, only one broke- I am suspicious that it already had....... The pan bolts were easy too- one of which was already loose.

I'll spend the next day or two cleaning parts and doing the “Keggar Mod” and removing the “ears” on the throttle body.

Since it is all apart, I'll be doing the typical tune up stuff and replacing the valve cover gaskets. IMHO- might as well do it all while its opened up.

Again- before I put it all back together, I'll post pics of the results.
Sponsored links