Old 03-27-2013, 06:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1986 Dodge Ram D250
Engine: 1981-1988 360ci (5.9L) LA V8 170hp
Rep:10
HeartbreakDodge is on a distinguished road
Exclamation 360 Rebuild: Startup Timimng Issue

Hey fellas,

I've got a 1986 D250 that was my grandpa's and has been in the family since it was new. After years of use on the farm and down the road, it leaked from every orifice possible, so we recently rebuilt it. The build went great and with minimal problems until the end; we are having a terrible time trying to set the timing and advance. When we had it ready to go, we had all the plug wires lined up and set the engine advanced about 6 degrees. We could get it to run if I constantly pumped gas into it, but it wouldnt sustain as soon as I let off. We tried the standard approach of turning the distributor and such but have had no luck. Right now, when we try to fire it up, it tries to go, but back fires a little through the carburetor. I don't believe that I am a full 180 out and have traced my wires more times than I can count. This is my first time trying to set the startup timing on a Dodge, what am I over looking?? At this point I plan on resetting and double checking everything, but I would appreciate it if you guys could post how you typically go about this process. Sorry for the book, guys, but it's driving me crazy at this point!!

In summary:
How do you go about setting the initial timing and advance on a fresh rebuild of an '86 5.9L 360c.i. engine?!?

Thanks in advance,
Dan
Sponsored links