Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram 2500
Trim Level: ASPP SLT Decor group
Color: APCA Center Band two tone forest green/ silv paint
Engine: 1994-2001 488ci (8.0L) LA V10 300 hp 450lb/ft
Rep:10
Bandit 8 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Bandit 8

Update on the non start problem.

A piece of wire loom with good insulation and a new computer.

Computer $453.95
wire loom 70.00
labor 220.00

and varoooom. It now fires right up.

What actually happened is the tranny fluid ate the insulation off the wires where they plugged into the electrical component. One of the wires was a main lead to the computer and the one it shorted out with was a low volt wire. When the mechanic un-plugged the loom he of course as I or any one else would have took hold of the wires along with the plug in order to remove it. Well he inadvertently squeezed the wires together shorting out the main lead.

I had just finished rebuilding the 47 RE transmission a DIY job and my first ever. So I was eager to test drive the truck once it was running to test my transmission work.

So I paid the bill and fired it up and left the shop. The transmission shifted into all three gears with good solid shifts. I was smiling from ear to ear this being my first build.

But after about 3 city blocks I could tell the front end needed some work so I drove it over to the high school votec for them to have a look. They found that most of the front was worn out. The students were on spring break last week so I ordered all new parts for the front end. All tie rods - track bar- new gear box - all 4 ball joints - new u joints for the axles - new axle seals - new dampner shock/ steering shock - all 4 shocks. Two new rotors and new disk brake pads.

I priced the parts from a local warehouse and they quoted me $1957.00 for every thing.

I went to Rock auto.com and bought the parts for $1019.87 which included $148.00 freight, and $135.00 core chg which I will get back. And I also got a $30.00 pre paid visa card rebate on the Monroe shocks. I literally save 900 bucks shopping at Rock Auto.

The deal was so goo I used the savings today and bough 4 new wrangler tires which cost 801.00 including road hazard.

You want to see just how much mark up is on auto parts compare prices locally to Rock Auto. It`s unbelievable how much mark up the middle men put on parts.

All my parts were Moog, AC/DELCO, and the gear box was a Lars reman. all good top of the line parts that I have used for years.

I am now anxiously waiting one more time to finally get my hands on the truck so I can really give it a test drive.