Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 1994 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg. Cab
Color: Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
Phatninja55 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJFriar View Post
I have a '97 1500 Ext Cab, 4x2, with the 5.2L V8. 98% of the time, she runs fine (though seems thirsty, but that's a later topic). But occasionally she will just stop responding to throttle input. I can floor her, and I will get an occasional popping sound, but no acceleration or anything. If I turn her off for a few hours, she will run fine again.

I have a code reader, and it can do real time monitoring of various sensors and such. The problem is, I've never used it for that, and I have no idea what "normal" is.

My plan is to keep the reader in the truck now. I'll attach it to get a run or two of her running normally; then if she acts up again, I'll attach it and try to capture the readings while its having the issue.

Aside from that troubleshooting step, is there anything I should check before hand? I assume it is a sensor of some sort giving bad info. I have a service manual and a multimeter, so I should be able to check most things, i just don't honestly have a clue where to start on this one. I hear its fuel related, or it's the mass air flow sensor; others say its a bad computer, etc etc etc.

tl;dr Truck occasionally stops going and will pop when given full throttle. Any sensors or things to check first?
I'm no expert, but maybe check the throttle position sensor.