View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013, 09:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

That looks extremely sturdy. The welds are good and the steel is very thick. Assuming the hardware used is grade 8 or similar/better i'd say you have overkill for class III towing(5000-6000 lb). I'd guess it'd be fine for up to 10,000 lb but without any rating I wouldn't do it(if something happens you would have major legal issues).

You could always take it somewhere and have them hang 10,000 or 15,000 lbs from it to ensure it is safe and establish a rating. We have to do this at work sometimes when they require ratings for chokers, straps, etc. for a lift or crane. Basically you hang so much weight from it and if it holds it you put a sticker on it that says it's certified for that amount of weight(there are places that do this).

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.