Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2006 Ram 1500 MegaCab 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:35
jfox is on a distinguished road
Default Improving Fuel Economy

I'm sure most of you laughed at that title, as I did myself as I wrote it! I mean, who buys a truck to have superior fuel mileage?! haha

I recently purchased an '06 MegaCab with the 5.7L V8 Hemi, and yes I know, these trucks are less than par in their fuel economy. That said, I know what I have.. a pig! I purchased this truck for a few of reasons...

-I needed 4x4 to get up and down the huge hill I live on in sloppy/snowy weather, and borrowing a truck from someone else is always a hassle.
-I needed a truck to tow my trailer/horses where ever I wanted and when I wanted. (next upgrade is a newer trailer!)
-I didn't want a total dog
-The price was "decent" for the year/mileage/etc.

Knowing what I was getting myself into- I test drove the truck, fell in love with the power it had, and we seemed to "click". [I've always been a dodge fan, my family's had a dodge since 1998 and they all love them.]

Now, I am wondering what mods other Hemi owners have done to increase the fuel economy. This truck averages 14hwy at 70mph and 10 around town. I honestly need a little better mileage as I'll be using it to commute to/from school on nasty days- which is a good 90 mile round trip. *gag* (I'm not sure a diesel is much better, and that's what I originally wanted.)

My "daily driver" is an 01 PT Cruiser, and even though it's front wheel drive, it just can't make it up my "hill side" drive in iffy conditions- and I refuse to leave it where my horses or a passerby could damage it...

Here is a pic of my truck from the day I test drove it:

***Edited to add that this truck currently has a K&N washable air filter on it...***

Last edited by jfox; 04-09-2013 at 08:36 AM.
Sponsored links