Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 2500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:17
ETRob is on a distinguished road

Last Updated: November 19. 2009 1:52AM
McCain won't back off slam about Chrysler
Ariz. senator clarifies by saying 'any objective observer' believes automaker will not survive
David Shepardson / Detroit News Washington Bureau
Washington -- Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., on Wednesday didn't back off his contention that Chrysler Group LLC won't survive but acknowledged that some unobjective people might not share his view. While serving as grand marshal of a NASCAR race in Arizona on Sunday, McCain said that if "anybody believes that Chrysler is going to survive, I'd like to meet them." McCain clarified his remarks on Wednesday, saying he meant "any objective observer." "As I am sure you know, I have spent a considerable amount of time in Michigan over the years, and have seen firsthand the great work achieved by the citizens of Michigan. Their perseverance merits praise," he said in a letter to Rep. Gary Peters, D-Bloomfield Township. Peters, a first-term House member who represents Auburn Hills, where Chrysler's headquarters is located, sent McCain a letter Tuesday asking to meet with him and noting he believes Chrysler will survive. "[I] will meet with you at your convenience to discuss the future of Chrysler and the contribution they make to our nation's economy. Better yet, I'd be more than happy to bring you to my district to meet with thousands of Americans who are working hard every day," Peters wrote. "Sen. McCain's campaign slogan was 'Country First.' For some reason, that doesn't seem to extend to supporting American industries," Peters added. "The worst part is not just that Sen. McCain is vocally predicting failure for a great American company that supports millions of jobs across the country -- it's that you get the sense he's rooting for it." McCain has increased his criticism of a $15 billion government bailout of Chrysler in recent months. Former President George W. Bush bailed out Chrysler with a $4 billion loan last December and the Obama administration provided additional funding to restructure the company in bankruptcy. The government turned over 20 percent of the company and control to Fiat SpA. Chrysler has declined to comment on McCain's remarks.

I've grown tired of McCain's "slamming". "Predicting failure" for ANY Great American company...... Hey; my 1969 Oldsmobile 98 2 door Convertible is an example of an "American Failure"? I'll be sure to tell the young kids down at my local grocery store that they are "gawking" over an American Failure.