View Single Post
Old 04-16-2013, 11:25 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 4WD Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2549
Hermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure why you experienced problems towing in the past with half ton trucks. Could be too heavy trailers, inadequate gearing. Empty or dry weight is meaningless. Look at the gross vehicle weight rating of the trailer (GVWR) which is the maximum weight of the trailer permitted and represents more closely, your worst case loaded for camping scenario.. Propane, water, essentials etc. add up quickly and you also have to consider any passengers and gear you may carry. Knowing your gearing would be helpful as well and can make a big difference in towing performance particularly with heavier loads. The brake controller is essential and the WD hitch is a plus for you. In the absence of more information, I'll step out on a limb and assume a GVWR on your trailer of 7500 lbs. This should fall within the tow capacity of your truck. If you have the 3.92 gearing you should have no problems, if your gearing is the 3.55, towing performance will drop off some and you may at time experience a drop off in tow performance, but even with 3.55 you should be alright.

Last edited by Hermes1; 04-16-2013 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Content