Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500 4x4
Trim Level: ST
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:40
titanman2789 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge man View Post
You have a pretty good idea already what to look for.

Check the front end out, they are also a known weakness, just see how well it drives down the highway.

A weak spot is the injection pump, but you can get an aftermarket one pretty reasonable and that will make it bullit proof. I think its called a VP44. Other than that, they are usually a good engine.

I own a common rail Cummins, but I think the one you are looking at is a 24 valve, and its kind of in between a pure mechanical injection, and the common rail that is controlled by the electronics like mine is. The good news is you can add a tuner to it to bump the power, plus the injectors are cheaper than common rail injectors.

Just my opinion here, but once the injector pump is upgraded, that is one of the best diesel engines, most reliable, ever made for a light duty truck.
Yeah, I figured checking to see if it drives straight is a given. This is why I am tending to avoid looking at older trucks with aftermarket lift kits. Drove one at a dealer last week and it pulled to the left pretty good. Just don't want to get myself into a suspension money pit.

Hoping I can go check out this truck today or later this week. I've had a couple of trucks bought out from under me while I go home and discuss it with the wife. They were gas v8s though. Now that I've found this cummins, if it runs good with no issues I need to jump on it.