Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: slt
Color: blue
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
ezaldi is on a distinguished road
Default Need Help AC not cooling

Hey Guys,

I've have a 2003 ram 1500 with 62k that's been giving me some problems lately with the air conditioner. I've tried just about everything in this forum but still have not discovered were the problem coming from. Basically my a/c only cools when my truck is moving, which I know is a common problem. However recently I stopped at a red light put the truck in neutral and revved the truck to 1500 rpm's, and to my surprise the a/c started to cool again. As you can imagine this was great news to me, but I still would like to repair it properly. These are the things i've tried with no result:

*Check fuse/relay box located next to battery. seems ok
*Condensor fan turns on, seems ok
*Compressor turns on when a/c in turned on, seems ok
*Had a mechanic check my pressure, which he told me were ok. (he suggested compressor replacement) did not sound very convincing
*lines from compressor one is cold and the other one is hot to the touch
*don't see any obvious leaks in my lines, but not sure
*don't know if this is normal but i noticed some condensation on my dryer a couple of weeks prior to a/c going out.
*able to turn compressor manually when engine is off

as you can see i've tried everything i could think of but have not come up with the problem. I would like to fix it myself if possible and any help would be greatly appreciated. I have not tried to refill the freon because I was told this is a closed system and there should be no reason to if there are no leaks. My compressor does not cycle on/off which is a sign of low freon. However, I will be try it if you guys think it would work. Thanks
Sponsored links