Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:18
rango88 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM View Post
So, I'm typically a good tipper when it comes to restaurant service. My fiancee things I tip too much, but if the service is bad I won't tip at all. But, That's not the point of this thread though.

I went in for an oil change last week to a drive-thru Jiffy Lube while I was out of town and when it came to paying for the work, they had a tip option you couldn't work around on the card machine. There was no "Add Tip" request, it was just a $ or % option. I have never seen a tip option at any oil change place and I don't feel that there should be.

I didn't add a tip because I don't feel that something like an oil change warrants a tip. They did not do any extra service for me, hell they didn't even check if all my lights were working (had fiddled with HIDs earlier and one wasn't working). While I was pulling out I know the one tech looked for how much the tip was and was obviously pissed that there was nothing.

To me, a tip is warranted under situations such as restaurants/pubs where someone has to take an active approach to keep me satisfied.

I'm curious to know what people would do in this situation. If there is a tip option, do you feel pressured into adding a tip?
I agree tipping restaurants/bars things like that where the service is more personal may warrant a tip if the service is good. I was insulted when I went to a restaurant and only after I received the bill (I hadn't paid yet) did i notice that a tip was already included on the bill. I asked the server what that was about he stated that it's standard that the bill included a 15% tip and the final price would reflect that.

When I went to pay with my card, the woman at the cash asked if I wanted to leave a tip and I decided against it just for that reason. I dont believe a restaurant should try and decide how much tip I should leave.