Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
runovryou is on a distinguished road
Default 02 Ram - Never ending problems, desp for help

hi all, I am getting pretty desperate and have talked to so many people and read up on so many things, but I'm at a dead end. I have an 02 with 4.7 1500 2wd. I bought it from a dealer last May with 79k on it and looked in very nice condition, drove well with exception of a few issues. When I test drove, it would like to stall when coming to a stop, unless you gave it a little gas, and AC wasn't cold. So the dealer said they'd take care of it all. They sent it to local Dodge dealer, who said the computer needed flashed and that'd take care of the stall issue.. and it seemed to. And they charged AC. All good. 4 months later, radiator blew and it got hot, gauge didn't pin, but got very warm. I stopped immediately. Let it cool, then idled home... less than a mile away. Put new radiator and thermostat in. Everything was good. I scrapped the old radiator, and when I broke off the plastic end tubes, they were packed full of a ton of thick yellowish crud. My guess was somebody had dumped stop leak in it, but I'm not sure. Anyway, stabalizing links went out, battery died, power windows stopped working, tire blew, spare was bad... and so on (over then next 2 months). Then the big one, started running bad, found out head gasket was blown. The guy I took it to for repair is a Ford dealer mechanic who does side work at home. He put new gaskets in, and sent the heads to the machine shop the dealer uses for machining. Got it back and had no heat. I pulled the two hoses that go through the fire wall and flushed using the garden hose. More of the crap like was in my radiator came out. Heat came back after a good flush. (this was around november/december). March it started running like crap again, so I took it back to the same guy because it resembled the symptoms when the head gasket blew. He said he pulled valve cover and rocker was just laying there. So he put new rocker and new lifter in. When I picked it up, it still had a small miss. The first time the key trick told me it was misfire code for cylinder 4. So a few days or weeks of driving like this with small miss.. engine light back on and said misfire cylinder 6. The guy never got back to me about looking at it again, so I pulled the even bank valve cover off hoping/expecting to see something obviously broke. Everything looked fine so I put it back together. The miss is getting worse and is now terrible. It runs ok when I'm a little on the gas, but shakes at idle or when cruising at a steady low rpm speed. I have new PCV valve, new coils, new plugs, have swapped coils and nothing has helped. I did 3 oil changes 500 miles apart after the head gasket repair... haven't noticed anything to note there. I also have noticed it seems to still be loosing coolant pretty steadily. And the strangest thing, is when I really get on the gas, the engine temp gauge drops way low.. then comes back up to normal. I started noticing this after the head gasket work, but can't say when it started doing this. I'm also not noticing coolant anywhere.. no obvious leaks, but not seeing any in the oil either. I've run sea foam, and marvel mystery oil during separate oil changes... it kept seeming like it might be a 'little' better after that, but then back to crap.. and still progressively getting worse. I don't know if it's worth mentioning but I have my muffler off, cat is still on though. Did that right after I got it. This is my third Ram, and have done the same with all... and it never seemed to cause a problem. My so called repair guy won't get back to me, and I'm not sure if it's because he's bad at returning calls, or if he knows there's some kind of bigger problem... but I have no warranty, I know that... he knows that, I'm not going after him with blame, I fully just want it fixed and will pay! All of the issues, I've looked up, and there are suggestions for each, but with all of this together, I'm not sure.. maybe somebody will know what's up with this thing!!?? I know the heads probably shouldn't have been machined, but at the time didn't know, and this guy said it wasn't a problem.. is that possibly what's causing this? I checked the cat after a 30 minute country road drive.. just looking to see if it was glowing red, which to the best of my knowledge would happen if the cat was plugged up. I feel like I've eliminated the PCV or plug or coil issues by replacing and swapping... As of today, the engine code is no longer for cylinder 6, but for random cylinder. I just want it to run good enough to sell, but as bad as the mis is right now, nobody is going to buy, not even cheap! That hurts too.. cause with the cost of the truck and then a few grand in repairs I've already done... makes me hang my head. I'm hoping that some of the guru's on here can point me in a direction that I can try or specifically request to be looked at by some other mechanic or shop. Or, if the truck is scrap, I'll just try to get back as much as I can for it... so far, I think $3000-3500 is about what a wholesaler has said he might pay for it. Sorry for the long post.. never ending problems, never ending description I guess! If anybody can help at all.. I thank you a head of time!
Sponsored links