Trim Level: SLT-Big Horn
Color: Blue, Sexy Blue
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:66
seanbeckaroo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware View Post
^^^This^^^

I've been riding ~25+ years and agree 100%.

Sidestands are typically cast pieces designed to hold a small fraction of the bikes weight. Think about how much of the bikes weight you "lift" when you tip the bike upright off the sidestand.

They are not engineered to handle any type of dynamic loads whatsoever. Properly cinching down on the straps on an improperly loaded (sitting on sidestand) bike adds tremendous loads to the stand.

I've seen people strap bikes down on the centre stand as well - essentially just as bad. Where the sidestand was taking ~1/3 of the load (shared with both tires) the centre stand is being asked to take most of the weight of the bike.

With either stand scenario, you're also defeating any benefits from the bikes suspension.
I've been riding 26 years and NEVER had any problem with kickstands! Old wives tale to be sure. Once the forks are compressed, they hold the weight, not the kickstand. The stand is just a stabilzer; and if you are properly strapped to the bed of the truck, there will be no movement in the bike, as it will become a part of the bed, thus, riding on the vehicle suspension! The side stand is a stabilizer, the center stand is load-bearing, different animal. I would not go to far on a center stand, unless the front wheel what wrenched down and touching the bed, thus, changing the weight pivot point, and the center stand becomes a stabilizer!