View Single Post
Old 05-03-2013, 04:41 AM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-Stripe View Post
Chrysler spends millions in pursuit of better mpg with elabrorate systems such as MDS to squeeze an extra 1/2 mpg. You just go and hack off the exhaust pipes and put them back on slightly different, with a different air cleaner and improve the trucks overall mileage by 3MPG. Wow...
No, Chrysler engineers spend millions in pursuit of more horsepower and better efficiency, the bean counters and environmental lobbyists make them meet environmental, fuel economy, and reliability requirements. The stock system is a compromise of the three.

You can tune ANY vehicle to perform better in any one category but Chrysler did pretty good in making an all-round winner. Since I am building a performance truck, I will go right ahead and make changes to my exhaust system's configuration and I can tell you right now that between the motor, trans, and in/out air flow, it will still see 20mph while pushing 500hp without the MDS running or catalytic converters. The biggest difference is I'm sinking $12K into doing this without a warranty... most people would not be so inclined. It could all blow up in my face, and most aren't willing to risk that.

Chrysler is not all-powerful/all-knowing. Every system can be improved in any specific area.

The claim of 3MPG with just an exhaust and intake is far fetched at best I have to agree. That result is skewed by driving habits more than anything, and for most people it's a decrease in mpg based on the exhaust tone and getting onto the skinny pedal more often.