Old 05-04-2013, 09:12 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: '12 Ram R/T
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
txwooley is on a distinguished road
Default Anti-Theft Radio My Butt!!

I guess word isn't out yet that if you steal the radio from a '12 or newer Ram, it will be useless to you.

I work in the Gulf of Mexico and am gone for 28 days at a time. While I was out this last hitch, the office calls me to ask if I own the black R/T parked in the employee parking lot. "Umm... Yes I do. Why?" Some thug with a truck that apparently looks just like mine busted out the driver window, climbed in through the window (I guess so as not to set off the alarm) destroyed me dash and stole my radio. He also jacked the R/T emblems from the grill and the tailgate. The office has it all on video too.

I did some searching on the internet about the anti-theft feature of the radio. It turns out that even though the radio is coded to the vin of my truck, it can be unlocked at your local dealership with the vin and proof of ownership. Well the truck sat right where it was for 3 more weeks so getting the vin could easily be done at any time, and if said thug works at a dealer or has a friend that works at a dealer then he's in business.

I called Mopar Customer Care and asked them if they could block or flag that radio so it couldn't be re-coded. They said they don't have that capability. So much for anti-theft.

I did call Serius/XM and tell them the radio was stolen. They agreed to suspend my subscription and flag the EIN as stolen with a note to not activate any service on that radio. Cudos to Serius/XM.

Meanwhile, if you happen to be in South Lafourche Louisiana with your R/T, be aware that there is a cop now stopping every truck he sees sporting R/T badges (he said he's seen mine around but never any other so he will be stopping all of them to ask some questions).

Sponsored links