Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Laramie CC 4x4 8spd 3.92
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White w/ Blk interior
Rep:69
Driver72 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
There's nothing wrong with the 6 speed(even though it only uses 5 normally). 10 years ago they only had 4 speeds. The 8 speed is nice I'm sure but people are really over exaggerating this.
I don't have an issue with the 6 speed, but I do have an issue with why it's a 6 speed but they only use 5 speeds in normal driving (the kind we do 98% of the time)?

I wondered why the EPA's figures for the gas mileage on the 6 speed auto didn't improve over the 5 speed autos?

The only reason I care about the 8 speed is the improved gas mileage and acceleration.

It's a bonus you get both from it.

Had the 6 speed been geared better so first gear was a bit lower and then 5th gear was a 1:1 and 6th was an ultra overdrive, they could of gotten
15 city / 21 hwy from the 6 speed for the 4x2's and at that point going to the 8 speed would of been trivial.
But as it stands, from what I can tell, the 8 speed is geared better for acceleration when needed, plus better for MPG when on the highway.

Those two things combined make it a compelling alternative to the so called 6 speed that doesn't really use 6 gears.