Vehicle: 2013 Ram Sport Crew Cab Hemi
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
rraulston is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver72 View Post
I don't have an issue with the 6 speed, but I do have an issue with why it's a 6 speed but they only use 5 speeds in normal driving (the kind we do 98% of the time)?

I wondered why the EPA's figures for the gas mileage on the 6 speed auto didn't improve over the 5 speed autos?

The only reason I care about the 8 speed is the improved gas mileage and acceleration.

It's a bonus you get both from it.

Had the 6 speed been geared better so first gear was a bit lower and then 5th gear was a 1:1 and 6th was an ultra overdrive, they could of gotten
15 city / 21 hwy from the 6 speed for the 4x2's and at that point going to the 8 speed would of been trivial.
But as it stands, from what I can tell, the 8 speed is geared better for acceleration when needed, plus better for MPG when on the highway.

Those two things combined make it a compelling alternative to the so called 6 speed that doesn't really use 6 gears.

Wrong.....the final drives are the same.........for those of you wishing you had an 8 speed.....don't. There is nothing wrong with 6 speed trannys. The 8 speed might (who races to 75mph?? who cares??) get to speed a few 10th of a second faster but crusing the freeway, its all the same.