Old 05-06-2013, 10:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 95 & 98 1500 Ram 4x4s
Trim Level: SLT & Sport
Color: 1 Blk,1 Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:36
Screamintrashcan is on a distinguished road

Going down a wide, untravelled road, 60 or 70 MPH, see if truck growls when you lean the steering wheel a little to the left, or a little to the right. if the truck growls a little in either direction, you have a wheel bearing problem. left turn growl is a right wheel bearing replacement due, right turn growl is a left wheel bearing replacement. both direction growl, and you're due a double. That 1 11/16 socket may need shaving down a little, mines a 'performance tool' brand, and I had to shave the wall thicness down a little to fit in the hole to remove the spindle nut. Dodge has Ford and Chev beat in ease of replacement, biggest pain to me was separating the hub from the brake dirt shield, without destroying the dirt shield. I use a burp gun with a very tapered on one side only chisel, and work my way around several times, it'll come. check and change if necessary, your axle joints while you've got it apart! (this is all based on 4wd) I seem to remember the spindle nut as being 170 foot lbs.