Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Laramie CC 4x4 8spd 3.92
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White w/ Blk interior
Rep:69
Driver72 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjansen View Post
I'd definitely argue the other way on that. In no way will only a 6" lift ever look to high on a full size truck. If you start getting into Bilsteins and body lifts on top of that then yes you can get pretty high (some might argue too high).

If you're going to spend the money on a suspension lift you're going to want a 6" for sure. It's only $150 more than a 4" and you'll end up regretting it if you don't go for the full 6". Check out Rough Country's lift kits. They are a very good price for what you are getting. Contact either Jeremiah or Andrew and Discount Auto Performance

Andrew: fastNugly@discountautoperformance
Jeremiah: jhinkle1989@discountautoperformance

That may be, but again, the amount of lift is a personal preference. I like 4" lifts.

Quote:
Definitely not true. The type of gearing you want for better fuel mileage depends on where you're driving and what other mods you are doing such as bigger tires. If you're staying with stock tires and doing mainly highway driving then yes you could argue that 3.21's will give you better fuel economy. If you are doing mainly city driving or adding bigger tires (or both) 3.92's are a WAY better option. 4.10's or 4.56's would be even better if they were an option.
Actually, what I said is exactly true. No offense, man but you are a kid. Ive owned and modded cars before you were even born.
He was stating he was getting only 14 mpg now.
If he has 3.92 gears on, he can expect worse gas mileage than if he had 3.21's especially on the highway.

What is true, and as you stated, is if he puts big tires on then of course you'd want the 3.92's but that's ONLY because the big tires essentially is raising his final drive ratio like it would be if he had the stock 3.21's on a stock size tire.
if he had 3.21's stock and put 37" tires on it would be like having a 2.xx final drive ratio. Way too tall to move the big heavy truck with any authority and you'd be forced to use too much throttle to get moving, which of course then you are using more gas, which eats up gas mileage.

Quote:
Again, not entirely true. The idea of adding a CAI and exhaust is too let your engine breath better and not work as hard to suck the air in and push it out. The CAI's on these trucks from the factory aren't bad so by just changing that, no you aren't going to notice any real gains. If you go to something such as a Vararam then you'll notice some power and torque gains and maybe a little bit better fuel economy. Maybe 0.5 MPG

The exhaust on the other hand is very restrictive. By changing the muffler and Y-pipe it will flow a lot better and you might see a few gains. But again, no more than 1 MPG....
I have had over 40 new cars, many of which I have put CAI's and tunes on.
My vehicles have been used by tuners as their beta cars, and I have done dozens and dozens of dyno runs on many of my cars.
Never once I have seen better gas mileage from CAI.
It may be different for this truck, but I assure you, IF you bring MORE air into the engine, it requires MORE fuel. You can not mess with the A/F (air/fuel) ratio by bringing in more air and not adding more fuel. That is a receipt for engine troubles and detonation.
A CAI is for getting more air in, which requires more fuel, so you get more power. A CAI is not necessary or is useless if you are not needing the extra power and are simply driving around and never going above 3000 rpms and driving like you are driving Miss Daisy.

Quote:
Once again, not entirely true. Yes, obviously you are going to lose fuel economy but lifting and putting bigger wheels and tires on. But you'll see more of a drop in city driving than highway driving. Simply because it takes so much more fuel to get those big tires turning again once you've stopped. At least on the highway you're generally at a constant speed. So yes it takes more fuel to keep them turning and you have worse aerodynamics but at least you aren't constantly trying to accelerate.
This is a funny one. You say, "once again, not entirely true" but then go on to say "yes" you are going to lose fuel economy by lifting and putting bigger tires on. Which is entirely what I said, which is entirely true.

Last edited by Driver72; 05-08-2013 at 06:34 AM.