Vehicle: 2014 Laramie CC 4x4 8spd 3.92
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White w/ Blk interior
Rep:69
Driver72 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadster21 View Post
to the guy that said a 6'' is to big youre in the wrong section of the forum

if youre lookin for fuel mileage and a nice lookin lifted truck at the same time, as indicated above gears and tuner is everything. i have a combined lift amounting to 10'' on 37s and with a cai exhaust and a tuner i am getting 14-15 mpg. before the tuner i was at like 10-11 ish (these numbers arent set in stone i rarely drive my truck so it fluctuates alot on how i am driving).

another big things is which tires you pick... my 37'' toyos are heavy. you can get a 40'' swamper that is lighter than my 37. so that plays a major factor aswell.

now get it lifted and get us some pics
This post was originally put in the 2013 Ram general section.
And regardless, even being in the lift section now, you don't think people have the right to their opinion and that only those who want an 8"-10" lift are correct? I like a lightly lifted truck especially if it's never going to see the kind of terrain that a larger lift is needed for.
Same goes with the reverse in performance cars. I don't like a slammed to the ground car either.
A nice 1-1.25" drop for many cars, just to close up the wheel well gap and lower the center of gravity a bit looks sweet. If they can't go over speed bumps and bottom out over the smallest road bump, to me that is not what I'd want.

You are correct about tire weight too.
The more they weigh the more rotational mass their is. That is important because it takes more power to get them rolling.
Also what has not been stated, but what I implied by cutting into highway miles with the lift and bigger tires is aerodynamics and rolling resistance.
The bigger, wider tires not only are brick walls for the wind, but have a much larger contact patch with the road. And that generates friction.
Friction cuts into power and therefore cuts into fuel economy.

As I originally stated, you will never get better fuel economy alone by lifting and putting bigger tires on your truck, highway or city.

As others have stated, a tuner can correct much of it, but personally I've always used tuners for more power, which has always meant it cuts into my fuel economy. But a good tune (and tuner) can adjust the settings so you do get better fuel economy to offset a lot of your loses from the lift and big tires.

Last edited by Driver72; 05-08-2013 at 07:47 AM.