View Single Post
Old 05-08-2013, 08:40 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 dodge ram
Trim Level: sport fully loaded
Color: charcoal grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:108
chadster21 will become famous soon enoughchadster21 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver72 View Post
This post was originally put in the 2013 Ram general section.
And regardless, even being in the lift section now, you don't think people have the right to their opinion and that only those who want an 8"-10" lift are correct? I like a lightly lifted truck especially if it's never going to see the kind of terrain that a larger lift is needed for.
Same goes with the reverse in performance cars. I don't like a slammed to the ground car either.
A nice 1-1.25" drop for many cars, just to close up the wheel well gap and lower the center of gravity a bit looks sweet. If they can't go over speed bumps and bottom out over the smallest road bump, to me that is not what I'd want.

You are correct about tire weight too.
The more they weigh the more rotational mass their is. That is important because it takes more power to get them rolling.
Also what has not been stated, but what I implied by cutting into highway miles with the lift and bigger tires is aerodynamics and rolling resistance.
The bigger, wider tires not only are brick walls for the wind, but have a much larger contact patch with the road. And that generates friction.
Friction cuts into power and therefore cuts into fuel economy.

As I originally stated, you will never get better fuel economy alone by lifting and putting bigger tires on your truck, highway or city.

As others have stated, a tuner can correct much of it, but personally I've always used tuners for more power, which has always meant it cuts into my fuel economy. But a good tune (and tuner) can adjust the settings so you do get better fuel economy to offset a lot of your loses from the lift and big tires.

i agree about the tires 100%. i was in the same boat as you for your opinion on the tune... ive tuned many lifted trucks using super chips and this is my first diablo which i am impressed because with adding more power it actually lets my engine work half as hard in turn giving me better fuel economy