View Single Post
Old 05-08-2013, 01:20 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:1990
brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver72 View Post
That may be, but again, the amount of lift is a personal preference. I like 4" lifts.
Fair enough. But just because you like 4" lifts doesn't mean a 6" lift is way too big like you previously stated. Because in reality it's only 2" taller.

Quote:
Actually, what I said is exactly true. No offense, man but you are a kid. Ive owned and modded cars before you were even born.
He was stating he was getting only 14 mpg now.
If he has 3.92 gears on, he can expect worse gas mileage than if he had 3.21's especially on the highway.

What is true, and as you stated, is if he puts big tires on then of course you'd want the 3.92's but that's ONLY because the big tires essentially is raising his final drive ratio like it would be if he had the stock 3.21's on a stock size tire.
if he had 3.21's stock and put 37" tires on it would be like having a 2.xx final drive ratio. Way too tall to move the big heavy truck with any authority and you'd be forced to use too much throttle to get moving, which of course then you are using more gas, which eats up gas mileage.
My age has nothing to do with it. If you want to get into a pissing match like that I could argue that I've worked on cars worth twice as much as your house and that have been in Sema building engines, transmissions, rear ends, bringing them drag racing, all that jazz. But that' has nothing to do with a Ram truck which is what this forum is about. I also have 15 times the amount of posts than you on this forum so it's highly likely that I've done my research and talked to tons of guys about all this stuff where you haven't.

As far as the gearing goes, you still aren't realizing the difference between city and highway driving. Yes on the highway where you get up to speed and you stay there having 3.21's would be a better option because they keep your RPM lower. But as I stated, in the city where you are constantly accelerating and stopping having lower gears is better because it makes the engine work less to get the wheels and tires turning. If you think I'm wrong with this why is everyone ordering 3.92 gears stock or changing to 4.10's and 4.56's with bigger tires? By your logic everyone should have the highest gears possible.

Quote:
I have had over 40 new cars, many of which I have put CAI's and tunes on.
My vehicles have been used by tuners as their beta cars, and I have done dozens and dozens of dyno runs on many of my cars.
Never once I have seen better gas mileage from CAI.
It may be different for this truck, but I assure you, IF you bring MORE air into the engine, it requires MORE fuel. You can not mess with the A/F (air/fuel) ratio by bringing in more air and not adding more fuel. That is a receipt for engine troubles and detonation.
A CAI is for getting more air in, which requires more fuel, so you get more power. A CAI is not necessary or is useless if you are not needing the extra power and are simply driving around and never going above 3000 rpms and driving like you are driving Miss Daisy.
Again, I agree that you will add more fuel by adding more air. Make sense. But you still didn't get the point about the engine not working as hard. Because it's easier to get the air in (and out with a free flowing exhaust) the engine doesn't have to work as hard which DOES give you slightly better fuel economy. I'm not saying it's a lot... but there would be a slight difference.

Quote:
This is a funny one. You say, "once again, not entirely true" but then go on to say "yes" you are going to lose fuel economy by lifting and putting bigger tires on. Which is entirely what I said, which is entirely true.
And once again, you aren't getting the difference between a city and highway truck.

So no offense buddy but coming on here and giving me shit (and other people) for my age and not having experience when you don't even have a Ram doesn't seem like the smartest move. I'm much sooner going to listen to all the other members on here that actually have a Ram and have lifted it, put bigger tires on, and changed the gears.

So again, like I said. If you're just hear to start a pissing match with everyone then don't bother. If you actually have some valuable advice to give that will help out the OP and the rest of the community then go for it but cut it down to just that. I also suggest you actually have experience with an actual RAM before you go shooting your mouth off about all of it.

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Cummins Build Thread
8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2 | Mag-Hytec Rear Diff Cover | 5000K Morimoto HID's (lows and fogs)
H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | 4.56 AAM/Yukon Gears | S&B Intake | Instagram: @brandonjansen
Guide to Leveling & Wheel and Tire Sizing for 06+ 4wd Ram 1500's