View Single Post
Old 05-09-2013, 02:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT Laramie
Color: White
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
FilthyDog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmustang View Post
Water pump siezed while son was driving and he drove 3-4 miles with no pump. Replaced pump and on start up saw white smoke from tail pipe and immediately shut down knowing it was at least a head gasket and maybe heads. I have money for parts but cannot afford labor costs. I was trained as a diesel mechanic in the Navy, but I have questions:

1. Do you have to pull the engine to get to the heads?
2. Will a compression test tell me if I have to do both sides?
3. Don't currently have a manual for this truck, should I get Chilton or Haynes?

Haven't done this kind of repair in a while, I am sure it will come back to me. Any tips on this kind of repair on this engine are greatly appreciated!
1. you do not have to pull the engine to pull the heads. I just did this to my 5.9. http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=139708

2. It's probably a good idea to pull both of the heads anyway. The valve seats are notorious for cracking. When I did mine I took them to a machine shop and had them install new seats. After they were disassembled and cleaned the shop found a crack that ran from an intake to the adjacent exhaust port. There were several ports that had started to crack but had not propagated too far that they couldn't be machined out. I could not see any of these cracks until the Heads were disassembled and cleaned.

3. I have the Haynes and it has served me well.
Mods: Hughes FI Intake, Stainless Steel Short Headers(generic ebay), Rebuilt Cylinder Heads, K&N Cold Air Intake, IAT Mod, Hughes STAGE 1 MODIFIED O.E.M. THROTTLE BODY, High Flow exhaust, LineX Bed Liner