View Single Post
Old 05-10-2013, 11:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: Black Gold / White Gold
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:264
Explorer Rob is a jewel in the roughExplorer Rob is a jewel in the roughExplorer Rob is a jewel in the rough

I discovered some more things about my Ram. I had it in Off-road 2 mode when I crawled underneath to take pictures. After a few minutes, I heard the valves kick in and it lowered a bit. A few minutes later it did it again. When I got back in the cab to raise it back up, it said I was in Entry/Exit mode. It wasn't quite down to Entry/Exit at least it didn't feel like it but it was quite a bit lower than when I first crawled under it. I did set it to Entry/Exit mode to check the tire clearance and was able to crawl underneath it but I kept hitting my head and arms on everything. It's good to know that if it does lower again on me, I hopefully won't go MIA. I can see that I will have to make sure when I'm changing the oil that after I put it in Off-road 2 mode I set it to tire change mode so I don't get crushed.

Another thing I found out was that there is absolutely no room for taller tires when in the entry/exit mode without rubbing on the plastic wheel liner. There is only about 3/16" between the tire and liner with the wheels turned sharply.

The next thing I found out was that in entry/exit mode it rests on the rear bump stops. I couldn't find any bump stops on the front suspension so maybe the air-springs act as the stops. I imagine they are the rear since that is where most of the cargo weight goes.

The last thing I discovered is the protection package affords no protection to the fuel tank. My 32 gallon plastic fuel tank is one hunking piece of plastic just waiting for a sharp rock to pierce. The protection package only comes with two shields. One under the front differential, the other under the transfer case. At least my Explorer came with a metal shield under the fuel tank. I used it a lot to slide over rocks before I lifted it.

Last edited by Explorer Rob; 05-11-2013 at 01:18 AM.