Vehicle: 2012 Hemi express quad
Trim Level: ST express
Color: Grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:195
RAM EM has a spectacular aura aboutRAM EM has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt2026 View Post
Its been a while. So I did some experimenting and had a tankt full of 93 octane and had a thought of selling the tunner. I put it back to stock tune and monitored the st/lt while driving on a stock factory tune. Guess what there was and lt and st count on the stock tune using 93 octane tune. So does that mean stock the ram tries to advance the timing for max power and the tunner doesnt do anything or does the tunner just force a more advance tuning all the time vs. stock without extreme loads. Im lost.
Its highly possible your stock tune is inferior to the DS tune in terms of timing advance curves. I'm not a DS tech, but I would imagine the stock tune is more sensitive to detonation than aftermarket tunes, and unnecessarily pulls timing for safety's sake. You have to remember, the same tune is written into thousands of pcm's going into trucks with inherently different mechanical characteristics and will be used in very abstract manners. Chrysler realizes this along with the fact that they have a lengthy powertrain warranty, so I'm sure the tune is written well to the conservative side. I would imagine most guys would see ST/LT KR#'s on a stock tune when driving the vehicle in a moderate/aggressive manner, they just don't have a means to actually see this (no tuner). Conversely, most guys with tuners run the performance tunes and never see it either.
In summation, if you are running a performance tune and are not seeing ST KR #'S over 3-4 w/ 0 LT KR #'s, then you are getting optimal performance from your engine, and are doing so safely. It's only when you get the higher KR #'s, and especially if you hear any audible "pinging", that you should be really concerned.

-DS Trinity- Hemifever tuned - 18" Magnaflow - BT catch can - 180 Tstat - 22" SRT10's - 305/45 Nitto 420 - SG 2/4 drop - blacked out heads/tinted tails - dechromed/debadged - 20% tint-