View Single Post
Old 05-12-2013, 12:11 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1999 DODOGE RAM2500
Trim Level: LARAMIE SLT
Color: BLUE
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
MACKEYAUTOREPAIR is on a distinguished road

No question the easiest motor to pull the heads on in the last 15 years or more. Pull the shroud, fan, and water pump, and you can crawl in and stand on the floor to work. Don't even think about not doing both heads. The gasket set will come with 2 anyway, so after you hang the extra on the wall and have to tear into it again, you'll just have to buy all the other gaskets. At the machine shop I used to work at, we kept a good set of these on the shelf, when yours came in, we sold the pair for the cost of the machine work. Not sure where the boss got the cores, I think he was having the cracks welded? It's not all about warpage, modern head gaskets require a certain surface to seal against, so they need to be done. ALSO: Think about replacing the timing cover gasket, and the timing chain. The bolts in the water pump also seal the timing cover, and once you loosen them, that seal is compromised. I have done a lot of timing gaskets with brand new water pumps on them. Timing chain is right there. I can get you torque specs and sequences if you need, if you don't want to buy the manual/