View Single Post
Old 05-18-2013, 10:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram RT
Trim Level: RT
Color: Steel Blue Metallic
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:136
ValleyRacer will become famous soon enoughValleyRacer will become famous soon enough
Default I can't imagine putting ALCOHOL on car paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadfootluke View Post
For those with IPA questions, IPA = Isopropyl alcohol or rubbing alcohol. All brands are the same. I get it from Target, Costco, or any pharmacy.

It is used to eliminate oils on the paint. When you use a polish or compound, it can leave behind oils that 1) hide swirls, which is not ideal when you're trying to correct the paint, and 2) it can inhibit the wax or sealant from bonding to the surface properly.

After each polishing step it is a good idea to do an IPA wipedown, which is a simple as spraying a panel and wiping it with a good microfiber. The alcohol flashes fairly quickly so it dries fast. That way you can evaluate how much correction was done. And when I am laying down a base coat of wax or sealant [not an additional layer, but the initial application], I will spray down the paint to prepare the surface.

Hope this helps!
Next time you do this alcohol on automotive paint (I can't fathom it) - would you mind shooting and posting some video and photos?
I've been washing and waxing cars since I was 16, never seen anyone do alcohol on car paint.
Washing and waxing a vehicle isn't rocket science, just some manual labor.