View Single Post
Old 05-21-2013, 05:57 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl(Its effin Dark Red)
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:26
jdip is on a distinguished road
Default Tire wear and off balance. Is the dealer lying to me?

Just bought a 2012 Outdoorsman from a Chevy Dealership near me (was transferred from a Dodge Dealership in NC). I have had a few problems this week since (currently waiting on dodge to replace the ambient light sensor, and had to have the RHB updated due to some software issues) not to mention I am still fighting with the Chevy delaership since they owe me a back up camera as they sold me the truck with that listed as a feature, and alas it does not have one. Anyway Since I am new to trucks I took it up to visit my girlfriend in VA this weekend. Since I have had the truck I have noticed some rhytmic rubbing sound however it seems to have gotten worse (only noticed it next to another vehicle/when it echoed off a nearby object) and now its very obvious now. It does increase with speed, and slow down when I do etc. Had my girlfriend do some circles in the parking lot around me, no debris, no tire damage evident. Seems to be Front Driverside and maybe a little of the front passenger side. I dropped by a tire shop in VA and they said the tires were off balance, and had uneven wear. Considering the truck is a week old I took it back to the dealer where I am sure they were so happy to see me. I have the tire and wheel premium coverage, however this obviously isnt damage so it probably isnt covered. Its over there now getting a free alignment and rotation however they told me if its uneven wear it wont go away without a tire replacement.

Here is where my question comes in. Tech says he had a silverado with similar tires (stated they suck) and his did it too. He said even if the tires are replaced with similar All terrain ones they will eventually wear unevenly too due to the way the tread is. Is this true? He states only way to get rid of it is less aggressive tread and if i got the same tires it would happen again. It seems plausible, he states there are a few brands that do not do this but do to my inexperience with trucks I wanted to run it by you guys, until I get to be a better guru. Currently there are Goodyear Wrangler (not sure what version) 70r17 they appear relatively new as far is the tread goes.

Any direction would be appreciated, I really do not want to have to buy new tires but that noise is driving me crazy, and is a head turner. I find it hard to believe that its a natural thing considering I dont see every truck with oversize tires, and all terrain tires doing this.
Again thanks guys, you all have been the best helping me get acclimated into the world of owning a truck.
Sponsored links