Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Express
Color: True Blue
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:50
mgbighorn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
I won't tell you which is best, i don't know just what ESP does or how Traction Control works
I go out into areas where the trail is really just packed blow sand & my Ram has the Open Differential & i have Tow Hooks & a trailer hitch in case i get stuck
I would prefer the LSD for the times that i must go out there.

I do know about farm tractors & traction, i was raised on a farm
Farm Tractors have an Open Differential, but they also have 2 brake pedals
these normally work together with the use of a metal bar that connects them
the bar can be easily moved to let the pedals work separately
when one wheel starts spinning, you lightly press the brake that controls the spinning wheel & the traction transfers to the non spinning wheel

A car or truck only has 1 brake pedal, but you can make that pedal work almost like a tractor
If your Drive wheel starts spinning, applying just the right amount of pressure on the brake pedal, along with just the right amount of gas pedal, will transfer most of the traction to the non spinning wheel
As beginning automobile drivers, we used to get stuck in sand pits & muddy fields, just to practice that method getting unstuck, someone was always there with a chain, just in case

I came from an old chevy with a g80 locker no traction control or abs. Every time it snowed i would have to put it in 4x4 just to get anywhere without the ass end slipping out.

Now with one winter behind my ram i can say that i LOVE traction control for the winter. It is great. I only had to put it in 4x4 3-4 times all the other times the open diff, 3.55's, with traction control on did wonders. You can pull out on ice put it to the floor and it will take of slowly with minimal wheel slip.

Like you i was initially worried about not having 3.92's and a lsd as almost anyone on these forms tells you that you need them. But for me Tc and 3.55's works great.

I also have two sets of tires, i have my Summer stock tires on chrome clads and i have a winter set on my original alloys with goodyear silent track tires that do have the "snowflake" on them