Old 05-29-2013, 08:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: black
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
mikeramlar01 is on a distinguished road
Default Differential repair problem (pinion nut)

Hello, This is my first post and I'm hoping someone here can help me or guide in the right direction. I started hearing a whining from the differential almost like the sound of aggressive tire tread when accelerating and decelerating. I checked the differential fluid and it was low took just a little over 3/4 a quart to bring it to level. I've since disconnected the drive shaft, removed the differential cover and pulled both axles out of their shafts. I had to order a "bearing preload tool" today to insert into the axle shaft and release the carrier so that i can inspect its bearings as well as the pinion bearings which i'm hoping are damaged and will fix the problem. My reason for the post is that when i removed the pinion nut i did not mark it or count the turns it took to remove it.... ive read that over tightening it can damage the bearings because the preload is not set properly and can imagine that under tightening it will not be good either. Is there a specific torque or way to set the preload to the manufacturers specs? (the differential is a 9.25)
Sponsored links