Old 05-31-2013, 12:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 95 & 98 1500 Ram 4x4s
Trim Level: SLT & Sport
Color: 1 Blk,1 Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:36
Screamintrashcan is on a distinguished road

What it sounds like you are missing is the slop in the drivers side of your track rod, buy a lukes link (dotcom) off the web and replace it, if you have a grinder and any sort of mechanical ability and 45 minutes, you have what it takes to overhaul that ballsocket assembly. One thing, buy a replacement nut and cotter pin before you replace it, at least the cotter pin. (if you were in salt land like I am, you would for certain need the nut, too) do not beat on the ballsocket stem on removal, you'll be reusing this piece. ( The part the nut screws onto and seats in the taper) While prying apart the taper, slap the part that the taper locks into,( the part with the hole, not the not the pin that goes through it with your hammer.) Last I knew, lukes links are sold over the web, and cost $75, they work on the long tie rod, as well, and are rebuildable, unlike the ballsocket on the expensive track rods and the long tierods. When you take your factory ballsockets apart, you may be horrified at how cheaply they are made. the lukes link is much higher quality stuff... my 2 pennies worth...