View Single Post
Old 06-01-2013, 09:13 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3236
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

I have gone through this very thing, and the biggest thing to know is how far you plan to go with mods, and what mods you plan to do. If it's standard bolt-ons and a lift they won't say anything about it at all, in fact in Alberta it's the norm. If you treat it like a daily driver or a work vehicle, insure it appropriately, which means you don't need to do anything special.

Now, if you're in a wreck, they won't pay any additional cost over OEM parts or labor for those aftermarket parts unless you carry additional coverage, and it must be agreed-upon value and you must have receipts for everything. My '07 that was wrecked this winter had ~$30K into it, and I was paid out $18K for everything; I only carried additional coverage for theft on my audio equipment, but I also talked them into letting me have the truck for a week before they took it away to swap all my OEM parts back onto it.

I did have one guy from a local club run into an issue with insurance and that was because he was rear-ended by an uninsured driver and he had upgraded his brakes to a big rotor kit; the insurance company tried to claim the upgrade caused the accident... the insurance lost that one in a hurry, but they can try and pull stuff like that.

Now, performance mods are a completely different ballgame. An insurance company can drop you if they feel that your vehicle is now a high risk, it happened to a co-worker who was talking with his agent about his 10 second diesel dually while he was insuring his wife's new car, by the end of the conversation the agent handed him his cancelled truck policy and said goodbye. There are several independent insurance companies that insure collector, race, and highly modified vehicles, you pay more for it, but it's automatically full coverage as that's all they will give based on the type of vehicles they cover.