Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2015 3500 SRW Longhorn, CTD
Trim Level: Longhorn Crew 4x4
Color: Deep Cherry Red, Saddle Tan Interior
Rep:139
HorseMan will become famous soon enoughHorseMan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathrend View Post
So this is post could be in a number of areas, I'm putting it here because this area rarely gets much love. I'm also looking for CTD owners, not so much Hemi's.

So I have two parts to my question. Towing over 10,000 lbs, what kind of mileage do you see? So far, I've pulled a large bass boat (The day I sold it) which was jaw dropping shocking. The tong weight alone changes the ride to a degree I wasn't expecting. I've heard people say it felt like nothing was there, but this actually felt like nothing was there. MPG didn't change, still getting around 18.

I pulled an empty cargo trailer, rather large tandem box, flat nosed. Pulled easy, but honestly I was surprised at the feeling of wind resistance, I didn't think it would be as noticeable with the 2500. It dropped my MPG down to 14-15 unloaded. Kind of shocked me.

Third was around 10,000 lbs of crusher run, though not very far. The truck did pretty good. It was a bear to stop, but it was mostly city driving.

What is everyone else seeing while towing? Hows the sway with the 2500's?

I have the 2500 CTD (2013) with 3.42 rear axle. No sway. The only thing I've pulled is my 20 foot, tandem axle horse trailer (bumper pull). I'm guessing it weighs 3500 lbs. Pulled it loaded with furniture the other day, and I could actually tell something was back there. I think it had to do with wind resistence, however. Towed great. Dropped MPG from 17-18 to about 14. I've only got 1300 miles on here. I love the exhaust brake as well-use it all the time. Hardly used the brakes pulling the small trailer.

I think folks that say "they don't know it's back there" really either have not towed much, or it's just a way of saying it wasn't much for the truck. Not knowing something is back there is perhaps like towing a very small lawnmower trailer with the CTD. But, for the most part, you should really know something is hooked up-the truck handles differently with bumps, might be a tad slower on take-off, and the braking is slightly different.

Then again, I'm very careful and observant when I tow. I notice everything!

Hope to buy a 5th wheel soon, if I can ever find someone that carries what I need. Hard to find anything just now (hidden rails, anyways).