View Single Post
Old 06-03-2013, 11:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 3500 Outdoorsman
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: White and Mineral Gray
Rep:232
Cowboy Medic has a spectacular aura aboutCowboy Medic has a spectacular aura aboutCowboy Medic has a spectacular aura about

I just moved up from a 2500 Hemi to a 3500 Diesel. I did so for multiple reasons. Where you are and how you are saying you will use it. I think that you would be hard pressed to justify the expense. Your Hemi will definitely have the power to move it and if you already like the truck why spend the extra money. Maybe put a set of air bags on to level yourself out and enjoy the new trailer.

Where I am I will be pulling in mountains and I wanted the diesel for those hills and especially the exhaust brake for coming down them. I expect to get about 10-12 towing if we get the fifth wheel we have been looking at. That is only 3-5 more miles per gallon. That may seem like a lot but if you factor in your costs to move up to the diesel, higher fuel cost, etc. you will learn you are not doing it to save money. I feel that the diesel is worth it because of how it feels towing, the longevity ( I plan to try and keep this truck for 15+ years if everything goes like I want ). Plus I had a 99 diesel that I loved and had been my dad's before he died so there is a nostalgia and enjoyment that I know I am paying to enjoy and I pay it gladly.

All that being said, the Hemi is a damn good motor. We have them in more than half our police fleet and we run them damn hard and in seven years we have never had a single engine problem in any of our vehicles. That is very impressive to me.

Hope my rambling helps somehow.

2012 Build Thread
My old 2011 Build Thread
My first Dodge photo thread