View Single Post
Old 06-07-2013, 02:16 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Power Wagon
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:256
battlerattle is a jewel in the roughbattlerattle is a jewel in the roughbattlerattle is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by starquestbd22 View Post
From what I have read our trucks do actually have plenty of stud left for the lug to grab onto with a 1/4" spacer. That's not based on any actual experience on my part though, simply what I have read from other members. There are several members that run 1/4" spacers and aside from the rare vibration issue I haven't heard of any problems. If the OP is looking for at least an inch of extra rim and tire sticking out then I guess bolt-ons are an option but I personally don't like the extra strain and wear that moving the rims out that far creates.

Me personally, I would pick up a cheap set of the universal slip-ons and see if they give you the look you want. If not, chunk em. If they give you the look but you get any sort of vibration or if you simply want the piece of mind of having the best 1/4" spacers out there, pick up a set from Motorsports Technologies. I should mention that the price estimate I stated earlier is for two spacers, not four. And another tip....if you do go with the spacers just make sure you periodically recheck the lug torque. It's cheap and easy prevention.

On my Power Wagon, when fully torqued the stud is about 1.5 threads beyond the top of the nut. A loss of 1/4" would even allow the stud to fully engage the length of the nut. My 1500 had the standard acorn style closed nut, so its only a guess, but I don't see it being much different.

In the end its up to you guys, just a risk I wouldn't take. Lots of other options out there. Now that said, if you have 2-3" long studs.....go for it, as long as the nut fully engages!