Vehicle: 2012 2500 4x4 Crew-Cab
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Black over Grey
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:31
Hardware is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSmart View Post
I never thought about having to tie down the panels when driving at highway speeds? Do you tie them down "just in case" or do they actually flip up?

Still I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the F1.

I'm more worried about my wife than I am myself. I think I will put some cardboard up against the back window and have her practice a bit first. Lol
When the panels are braced up against the cab no bungees are needed.

When the panels are folded up except for the last "flip" (leaving the rear window unobstructed) I've used bungees. I've always done it just in case - it makes sense that the low pressure pocket of air behind the cab might cause them to lift enough to start catching fast flowing air from the sides.

I've never experimented by doing highway speeds without bungees in place as I didn't want to have the panels flip back in the wind and hit cargo (the only reason to drive with them partially open).

How often do you anticipate your wife driving with tall cargo requiring the cover open all the way to the vertical position against the window?

If it's going to be that frequent, then maybe look at getting a rolling shutter type of cover - otherwise I suspect you're over-thinking this.
MODS: BAKFlip F1; Head Rack; WeatherTech mud-flaps, vent visors & bug deflector; Cabella's rear seat cover; cabin air filter; Geno's Grill Quick Release Kit, PIAA Xtreme headlamps (Highs, Lows and Foglamps), WeatherTech DigitalFit Floorliners.