Vehicle: 2007 Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
c4s is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer Rob View Post
And the 985 lbs. of payload DOES NOT INCLUDE THE DRIVER. From my 2013 OM "The GVWR is the total permissible weight of your vehicle including driver, passengers, vehicle, options and cargo. The label also specifies maximum capacities of front and rear axle systems (GAWR). Total load must be limited so GVWR and front and rear GAWR are not exceeded. The payload of a vehicle is defined as the allowable load weight a truck can carry, including the weight of the driver, all passengers, options and cargo." Note: the only figure that Ram factors in 150 lbs. for the driver is the GCWR (Gross Combination Weight Rating). "The GCWR is the total permissible weight of your vehicle and trailer when weighed in combination. NOTE: The GCWR rating includes a 150 lbs (68 kg) allowance for the presence of a driver."

Using the 985 cargo capacity as an example and my weight of 185 lbs. I have 800 lbs. left that can be loaded on the Ram. Allowing for 12% hitch weigh, that means the Ram could tow a maximum of 6,667 lbs. with a hitch weight of 800 lbs. That is a significant amount less than the 10,000 lbs. the dealer may have told you that you could tow. If you carry passengers or anything in the bed your numbers will be lower. Sure you could tow 10,000 lbs. if you controlled your Ram by remote control and kept the hitch weight to less than 10 %.
Agreed! The only thing I'd add is that I think you can sometimes get away with a little less tongue weight when towing a boat. I think that must be what the manufacturer's are using when they come up with these crazy tow ratings? Because of the shape they are less susceptible to sway when compared to a box shaped travel trailer so you don't need to transfer as much weight to the truck in order for it to track down the road straight.

I won't pretend to be a boat towing expert though so those folks would have better knowledge than I when it comes to that!